In this article
At Fall, we love helping you in practical ways to maintain and look after your home. So, rest assured; we have you covered for many potential messy mishaps when organising your dinner party, entertaining your guests or cleaning your home!
If you are like us, we often need to find at-home cleaning solutions fast whilst entertaining our guests, or we have found ourselves quickly mopping up a disaster before they arrive!
We all want our house to look spick and span when we have visitors, and we want it to look like it is always like that, right? So, we thought you might find yourself in similar situations - and need a simple cleaning hack fast.
From scuff marks on the wall and grimy grout in the bathroom to reviving your upholstery and saving burnt pots – these unexpected messes, spills, or unclean bathrooms can often leave you feeling overwhelmed and stressed.
To alleviate some stress, all you have to do is save, print and display our seven cleaning hacks, so you are prepared for any mishap and scenario! Download a copy here!
You can also read our seven simple cleaning hacks below. We have chosen solutions that use staple household products to fix each problem fast, no matter the scenario.
1. Remove wall marks
Imagine the day for your notorious dinner party has arrived.
You need extra seating because everyone is coming, and as you carefully move the additional dining table down the hallway, your partner tells you to move left. You move left. Only, they meant their left, and you have just hit the wall.
Upon assessing the damage, you find a considerable scuff mark, and what’s worse, you notice red splodges along the wall - how did they get there? Your toddler must have danced along the wall while eating raspberries this morning. Of course!
How to fix
You will need a few drops of dishwashing liquid, water and a micro cloth. You will want to clean any wall marks as soon as possible - or as soon as you notice!
- Squeeze a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a small bowl of water.
- Saturate the cloth and then squeeze so the cloth is damp.
- Rub in circular motions over the stained wall, rinsing the cloth as the stain is being removed.
Another option is to purchase Chux Magic Eraser Spot Cleaner and have this handy in your cleaning cupboard - just in case!
2. Clean grimy grout
Your guests are about to arrive in a couple of hours, and you notice that the grout in the guest bathroom has seen better days. Everyone is going to notice!
This homemade grout cleaner will be your quickest and easiest cleaning hack.
How to fix
You will need baking soda, vinegar, a micro cloth, and a toothbrush.
- Wipe over the grimy grout with a damp cloth to remove any dirt, dust and general grime.
- Mix two parts baking soda with one part vinegar in a small bowl.
- Using your old toothbrush or cleaning brush, scrub the areas of the grout where the micro cloth could not remove the tough grime.
If your grout has mould or regular condensation, check out our very informative article about preventing mould in the first place.
3. Revive your upholstery
Your guests are only an hour away when you notice the dirt stain on your couch. You need a cleaning hack stat. Luckily a household staple is an answer: bicarb soda. Not only will it neutralise fabric odours, but it will also bring your furniture back to life.
How to fix
- Simply vacuum your upholstery before sprinkling bicarb soda onto the fabric.
- Leave it to sit for 30 minutes, then vacuum once more.
- If you have any stubborn stains, use diluted dishwashing liquid and a sponge for a deeper clean.
Be careful not to rub the fabric and ensure to blot dry with a clean cloth.
4. Red wine stains
Your guests have arrived, and you have offered a cabernet sauvignon which will compliment your dish with hits of black cherry, currants and herbs.
All is going well, except the joke was just too good, and as your friend laughs uncontrollably, the red wine spills onto your cream carpet. Suddenly, things aren’t so funny anymore. But don’t panic! We have the best cleaning hack for you.
How to fix
You only need a cloth, warm water, dishwashing liquid, white vinegar, and a sponge.
- Blot the stain with the clean, dry micro cloth to soak up as much red wine as possible.
- Mix two cups of warm water with one tablespoon of white vinegar and one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid.
- Dip the sponge into the solution and continue blotting the stain until it has lifted.
If the above does not work, mix a three-to-one ratio of water to baking soda and put the solution on the affected area. Leave it to dry before vacuuming it up.
5. Gather shattered glass
As the night progresses, your friend sits her glass on the edge of the kitchen bench to tell you a story. She expresses her enthusiasm with her arms, and you watch her clip the glass in slow motion.
It is incredible how much glass can shatter and how clumsy this friend is.
How to fix
You will need a dustpan and broom, and a piece of bread!
- Sweep up the big pieces with the dustpan and broom.
- Grab a piece of bread and press it over the glass-sprinkled area. The shards will stick to the slice of bread.
- Go over with a vacuum to ensure no tiny bits of glass are left.
6. Save your burnt pot
Your night was a success – minus a couple of minor incidents. It is time to manage the aftermath, including the pot you burnt while tending to the shattered glass. Luckily, the combination of baking soda and vinegar is one of the best cleaning hacks, as it can clean almost everything.
How to fix
You will need water, white vinegar, baking soda and a scouring pad.
- Place the burnt pot on the stove.
- Fill it with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of vinegar and bring it to a boil.
- Once it reaches boiling point, remove it from the heat and place it in the sink. Add two tablespoons of baking soda. Let it fizz.
- When finished, pour it out and scrub the pot with a scouring pad. If stubborn spots remain, add extra baking soda to help scrub.
7. Clean wooden cutting boards
Your wooden boards are stained from the colourful vegetables you used in your delicious meal. A simple cleaning hack is using a combination of lemon and salt.
How to fix
You will need a lemon, salt, a souring pad and a clean sponge.
- Cut a lemon in half.
- Sprinkle coarse salt on the stained area and scour the surface using the halved lemon.
- Squeeze the juice onto the board as you scrub. Let the juice sit for five minutes before finally rinsing it with a clean sponge.
Who knew everyday household items such as lemon, salt, and bread could be so handy when cleaning around the house?
Download and print our handy PDF document to stick on the fridge so you are prepared for any mishap at your next dinner party! Our download includes a list of all the must-have staple items to ensure you can easily tackle any mess anytime!